Saturday, June 29, 2013

I Met Lou Whitaker!



Yesterday was "Family Fun Night." The options were a movie, a 45-minute trip to Grand Haven to see the sunset on a night with popup thunderstorms, or a Whitecaps game. Let's be real, I wanted to go to the Whitecaps.

We managed to get down there through Grand Rapids traffic unscathed (with me driving, even!) and entered the ballpark at about 7:00. First pitch was scheduled for 7:00. Oops. Fortunately, a rain delay had pushed back first pitch ten minutes, giving us time to get settled on the first base edition of the Talsma Lawn Seats. Just as I settled in, I noticed a sign. It said... Lou Whitaker was giving autographs? What? 

The sign directed me to receive a wristband on the opposite side of the stadium, then numbers would be read from the wristbands randomly all night. Those lucky enough to get in the number range got to meet Lou Whitaker!

I cruised over to the wristband booth and got one, making it back to my spot just in time for the first pitch. Endrys Briceno started for the Whitecaps, and he looked good. He was getting awkward swings out of Dayton hitters in the early innings, even hitting 96 on the gun. Good stuff from him and Jeff Holm, who homered. However, I hate Jeff Holm for having the walkup music "I Don't Care" by Icona Pop. Really?

The Talsma Lawn Seats were about as uncomfortable as they sound. Who wants to sit at a 30 degree angle on a slippery hill for three hours, not even close to the action? Apparently people who show up and buy their tickets 5 minutes before game time on Lou Whitaker Night. Here's a picture of my sister and me. Notice that the lawn is higher than us like 5 feet back.


Brutal. The blanket was like a slip and slide.

Devon Travis is really, really, short. Like, 5 foot 9 is... What's that? They called my number range to meet Lou? I'm outta here!

The stadium detail that was there with Lou kept the line moving. Everyone had their ten or fifteen seconds to say something to him while he signed their ball, shirt, or almost completely autographed 1984 Detroit Tigers' poster (RIP Lopez). However, Whitaker seemed like a very personable guy who enjoyed what he was doing. He answered the few questions that were asked of him, and responded very kindly to my slight case of awe. Seriously, who wouldn't be in awe when they're three feet from a legend? All of a sudden, his neat cursive signature was done, I was shuffled out of line, and my fifteen seconds with Lou were done.


I'll always have an autographed copy of The Wave. It's about time one of those worthless magazines had some purpose to it.


That's Lou Whitaker's signature! I met Lou Whitaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment